Used Car Parts
As an auto wrecker and recycler, A-1 Parts For Less, we save all usable auto parts so that customers like you can save money on repairing your car or truck. If you’re the Do-it-Yourself or DIY kind of person – guy or gal – then consider these simple rules that can increase your chances of getting good used car parts for your planned DIY repair. If you’re not the DIY repair expert, you still may need to be the one to buy the part(s) for your mechanic, and avoid their mark-up. Here’s what to look for:
Inspect for dents and blemishes: ensure that it’s free from dents or damaged caused by an accident or that has been damaged while being removed, like with threaded parts, part with internal moving parts, or wires.
Test the Part: If possible, ask the dealer to test the part. Not all parts can be tested at point of purchase.
Get a guarantee: Always insist on getting this from the dealer especially if it’s one of those parts that can’t be tested at point of purchase. Get parts still bolted to an engine or part of an engine assembly if possible to minimize the risk. At minimum, a fair guarantee is that the part would be returned if it’s broken when fitted. Genuine parts dealers would almost always offer this. Be prudent, read the terms and conditions of the warranty.
Know what you are buying. Note if the parts are being sold as used, repaired, or remanufactured. Recycles auto parts are priced by ‘Mechanical Part Grading’ where:
- Grade A = Less than or equal to 60k miles, or greater than 60k miles but less than or equal to 200k miles and less than or equal to 15k miles per year;
- Grade B = Greater than 60k miles and less than or equal to 200k miles but greater than 15k miles per year;
- Grade C = Greater than 200k miles; and a
- Downgrade = Recycler has chosen to downgrade the part based on damage not reflected in the grading algorithm.
- Most prices do not include extended warranties or shipping
You may also want to consider these tips for buying used car parts from EBay:
- When purchasing used vehicle parts online or from a local store, parts not in stock may be delivered or shipped within 3 to 6 days. If the purchase is made online, ensure that the part shown in the picture is the part received.
- Ensure the part matches with the car by using the vehicle identification number (VIN). This number provides the seller with information such as the make and year of manufacture of the car, its engine, transmission, and other parts.
- There are original (OEM) parts, and there are duplicate (aftermarket) parts. Parts can be duplicated easily, and are generally less reliable than the original parts so it’s also important to ensure the car operates safely with the used parts.
A-1 Parts For Less carries a massive inventory and wide variety in stock parts at our location in Calgary. During our wrecking and recycling process we save all usable parts from all makes and models of vehicles. If you have any questions about our brands and our auto parts, call A-1 Parts For Less at 403-280-8888 or toll free at 1-800-958-7555 today and our friendly, experienced and knowledgeable staff members will be happy to help you find the parts that you need for most import and domestic vehicles.